The Gracie family are synonymous with Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. By now I'm sure everyone knows about the exploits of Helio, Carlson, Rickson, Royce, Roger etc etc. If not, then I recommend Kid Peligro's book, the Gracie Way as a good start. But what about the other members of this huge extended family? Do they train in the sport? Is their surname a burden or a door opener?
I wanted to find some really obscure Gracie fighters out there and perchance, I was also asked by a new BJJ website to write an article. The website is www.uk-bjj.com and my article, "10 Gracies Who You Probably Never Heard Of Before (but maybe should)" is up online now.
But before you click on it and read the article, here is a quick quiz:
- Which member of the Gracie family is the only Gracie to win gold at this year's IBJJF Pan Jiu-Jitsu tournament?
- Name two Gracies who have fought each other in an official BJJ tournament (there have been only two such vases that I know about)?
- Who co-wrote the Gracie Self Defence book alongside Royce and what is his lineage?
- Which Gracie is the only member to be recorded on tape 'losing' a Gracie challenge fight?
- Who is Rorion Gracie's daughter Rose married to?