Woot! My interview and photo feature is published in the new April issue of Martial Arts Illustrated magazine. I'm really pleased with the way they have laid it out, looks pretty nice I think.
During the photo-shoot, Ana demonstrated a really cool lapel choke using your own gi. It involves a bit of leaping into the air and jiggery pokery with the gi skirt, but MAN! what a technique!!! So I've taken the liberty of presenting it here in its step-by-step form...
(1) Ana Maria (white uniform) has taken the top side-mount position. Her left hand is tucked under her partner's neck.
(2) With her right hand, Ana Maria reaches to grab the lower right portion of her own uniform jacket (the ‘skirt’).
(3) She feeds the corner of her jacket over her partner’s shoulder and grips it with her left hand.
(4) Ana Maria places her right hand on the floor over on the other side of her partner's body.
(5) Ana Maria now rotates her body to her right, steps up onto the balls of her feet and places her head on the ground. Note how her left forearm forces her partners head forwards.
(6) Ana Maria hops up in the air while still holding the jacket corner in her left hand. The tension of the jacket around her partner's neck is painful.
(7) While in the air, Ana Maria continues rotating her body so she lands on top of her partner (full mount) and tightens her grip to ensure a submission choke.
Go on, try it next class for yourself!
April 2010 issue of Martial Arts Illustrated is out now.